An old grist mill, originally constructed in 1673 on the bank of the Farmington River, was transformed into the new admissions building for Miss Porter’s School, one of the nation’s most historic boarding schools.
The waterfront property, previously a restaurant, was renovated and re-purposed into the school’s new admissions building. All new state-of-the-art electrical, including photovoltaic panels, HVAC, and high-end finishes, including re-claimed barn board flooring were installed as a part of the renovation project.
Existing mill grinding equipment is retained on the second floor of the original mill. Exterior improvements include a new stair tower, all new windows, siding, roofing, and a complete redesign of the site with new drainage, grading, landscaping, retaining walls, and brick paver patio, and a feature entrance planter. An original grist mill grinding stone is incorporated into the new patio surface.